Sunday, May 2, 2010

Sylvia gone for an hour, and I have a date!

It happens every time Sylvia goes away. My brain turns to mush, I forget to feed the children, I wander aimlessly through the streets mumbling to my shoes. Well that seems to be the perception among "The Omas" according to their sudden, and frequent, appearances.

"The Omas" are my mom and Sylvia's mom (Oma is German for Grandma) and they are always willing to help out, especially when they sense their darlings are in danger. The most common danger these days is when Sylvia goes to a friend's house for a night. Typically, as I am gathering ideas from the kids about dinner we are visited by one, then the other, then the two of them together. "Just to check in." They do come over when Sylvia is here, but they pay a little extra attention when she is gone. I started to feel that they didn't think I could handle things alone.

It always seemed that they were particularly worried about the children, but yesterday they proved that they have been worried about me the whole time! The school district lets me watch 27 kids at a time, you'd think I could watch two who share my DNA. You see, this weekend Jake was gone helping younger scouts earn their beginning badges and Kristiana went to a birthday party out of town with Sylvia. I was all alone and planning to sit in front of a pizza, whose toppings were not negotiated, and watch several things blow up on TV. This plan was altered when I got calls of concern from Sylvia's mom. It came to her that I was alone and didn't have anything in the house to eat so she would take me out to dinner. Ok, so it was Sylvia's mom that was driving the worry van all along. Or so I thought...My dad and mom called a short time later to see...if I wanted to go to dinner...of course.

I don't know how I got the reputation of being helpless. I have been dressing myself for years...two to be exact. I am almost completely potty trained. And if needed, I can find my way home again from the store that is over Half a block away! I mean I have skills! Furthermore, it is an exceptionally rare occurrence for me to miss a meal! Sylvia works so hard that at dinnertime she will say, "Ooops. I forgot to eat today." Tee hee. (twitter added by me for effect). I am aligned closer to the comedian who said, "I could be bleeding out my eyes and I wouldn't forget to eat." In that regard I have mad skills.

So instead of sitting alone and eating a pizza for dinner, breakfast, and lunch...I went out with Sylvia's mom to a new Italian Bistro here in town. Good food and we had a good time, but we didn't get to see anything blow up.

To recap the weekend. Nobody was injured and I certainly didn't starve to death. I managed to make it to Sunday evening alive. I picked up Jake from scouts on time and he has all of his fingers and toes...and they are clean (now). There is a path of clean leading from the garage to the house so Sylvia and Kristiana can come in easily. I would say that I managed things pretty darn well.

Now if someone would kindly Google Web MD to see how I could remove a corkscrew from my eye I would appreciate it...I tried making cold cereal this morning and things went horribly wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment