Monday, May 24, 2010

Been nice knowing you...cough cough...

"teacher...teacher...teacher.... I want to tell you something."
"Ok, I'm here."
"NO, come here."
"I can hear you sweety. What is it?"
"Closer."
"OK, is it a secret?" nod... (why have you pulled me so close to your face?)
"I just threw up." COUGH!!!

All the non teachers out there just said, "EWWWW!!" All the teachers thought, "Oh, it must be a day that ends in Y." yawn. That happens more often than I care to admit. I just hadn't thought to write about it yet.

It seems it has been a little long since I have posted something...I mean, I skipped yesterday! But apparently Jennifer wants to hear something new every day. I am having so much fun doing this that it is usually not a problem. But yesterday was Kristiana's final performance in The Music Man and we were otherwise focused. Additionally, I have occasionally been getting "the look" from Sylvia for sitting at the computer for extended periods of time. I'm not saying it isn't deserved. I tend to lose myself behind the keyboard and I think I may have actually found the one activity that could make me forget to eat. THAT'S IT! I could write a weight loss book. Although I am pretty sure no publisher worth his weight in India Ink would print a book whose premise was, sit at the computer....the end.

So far since I have started this blog I have been keeping up with hygiene and daily tasks, like teaching, but I could easily write and write and then look up and wonder why it is dark outside...and why I need to keep brushing my beard off the keyboard. It's good to have a reality check...even if you can't cash those.

And speaking of checks, I told Jennifer that if I were getting paid for this I might be able to get Sylvia to give me "the look" when I wasn't writing! Wouldn't THAT be cool!
"Honey, cleaning the garage again? (drive by our house when the garage door is up and you would realize that this is the funniest thing I have ever said) Shouldn't you be sitting at the computer?!"

Are those angels singing?

Seriously, Sylvia has been incredibly supportive of my new hobby and only when I forget that the kids need to get up for church or school does it become an issue.

Anyway, it is one thing to say, "write more" and another entirely to say, write more about your class. Thanks for the idea. Which brings me to my lesson for the day. OK class, please pay attention. If you are sick, stay home! Thank you for listening. I'll be going now.

I am terribly sorry that you do not have day care, cold medicine, saltine crackers, an oral thermometer, the OTHER thermometer, Robitussin, Vicks vapor rub, chicken and stars soup, Seven Up, a dehumidifier, a humidifier, your favorite blankie, or the patience to try to deal with a sick child (I know this may be snarky. It gets to me sometimes) but this is one kindergarten teacher who is not interested in sharing everything! Crayons? Yes. Papers? Check. Pencils, toys, smiles? Yup, yup yup! Germs? Bzzzt! Sorry, you have lost the bonus round and you are not smarter than a kindergartner!

This scene plays out quite often and with my bulletproof immune system plus all the precautions I take, I should be fine...I just wish my colleagues hadn't screamed "23-19!" (Monsters Inc.) while dousing me with hand sanitizer!

2 comments:

  1. Funny! I once took a child (yes, one of my own, if you must know!) sick with the chicken pox into a full classroom. How does that HAPPEN, you ask? Well, we had the thermometer, and the OTHER thermometer (LOL), Robitussin, etc etc but I had failed to notice that the child in question was sick because 1) she didn't have spots...yet. That was later in the day! 2)she wasn't running a fever. That kid NEVER did. 3)She seemed a little out of sorts, but that was true almost every morning before 8am. and 4)I was distracted by my husband's whining about how everyone at work was always making him sick. FUNNY until most of the classroom came down with chicken pox. OOPS> sorry. That would be my fault..you know, the woman who hated when people would bring in kids sick with "just a cold" because hers would end up with RSV, croup, and asthma symptoms to the point of having to go to the emergency room in the middle of the night! ~Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin,
    You win the "I would've brought my kid to school too" award. Chicken POX? Wow! Our kids have a special way of amplifying maladies when well and minimizing when sick. With Jake it has been a broken finger that we thought was bruised cause he never really complained. Take care and you know most of those parents are now talking humorously about..."The Outbreak at the School!" Take it easy.
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete