Sunday, April 1, 2012

What the Heck/Thanks!

I am sad/happy to report that I am being ripped off! I mean it's an honor but still, HEY!!

I have just learned, through the weirdest means that I have ever encountered, that my blog has been used to make a TV show about America....in Slovenia!  Without my knowledge!  Without my consent!  And most importantly, without compensating me for anything!  I started writing on March 31st, 2010, so I have been writing this blog for two years and a day!  I have never had anything so weird happen to me.

I know that in other countries there are very lax laws dealing with copyright and intellectual property.  There is some sort of loophole that says if the words aren't exactly the same, then it cannot be proven whose idea it is, but it seems to me like I should be compensated for this.  At least a little bit, right?  I suppose it would be OK to get paid in EUROs but they probably have some sort of automatic exchange rate device that should be able to directly deposit money to my account.

In fact, someone tried to tell me about this one month ago, but I thought it was an internet scam.  In perfect English I received an e-mail, "Hello, I want to inform you that I have been reading your writing for some time now.  I love how you always mention that there is a Slovenian reader out there somewhere.  That is me.  It makes me mad that I have seen a show here that loosely translates to, "Americans are Not Right in the Head" and the episodes very closely match what I read in your blog."

I tried to Google the show but I was unsuccessful so far.  He said to look up "Američani niso prav v glavo" There seems to be a language barrier.  I can't make heads or tails of anything that comes up and when I use the automatic translator option on Google there are a lot of sites but none of them are about TV shows. (Perhaps I am not right in the head...ha ha sniff)

I would love to get a lawyer and try to compel them to pay me for my ideas (which aren't so much ideas as stories about my family) but that isn't going to happen.  I am so broke that a lawyer is the last thing on my shopping list.  I just need to wait for that latest windfall from writing a blog to come in!  Then I can travel to Slovenia, meet the one guy who is reading my blog, and then stay in a fancy enough hotel to watch my life on a Slovenian sitcom.

I certainly have had a weird March this year.  All I can hope for is that my April doesn't begin as strangely.  I suppose I could wish the same for you too...so happy first of April everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment