Monday, June 7, 2010

Amusement Park? It Worked, I'm Amused.

Now this is frustrating. I took the time to jot down some notes on my smart phone, send them home via e-mail, and open it up only to see ads from an online newspaper. I may have said I was tall...I never said I was technologically savvy. In fact it is the quite the opposite. I may have the Droid (droooiiiddd) but it is painfully aware that my smart phone is smarter than I am. (thanks Sue...stealing the line with absolutely no remorse)

Where was I? I was at the second happiest place on Earth. Well, maybe thirteenth or fourteenth. We were at Marriott's Great America...wait, Paramount's...no, Six Flags...not now? Oh come on! Bob and Ethel's Great America? That Guy Over There on the Bike's Great America? Actually, it is California's Great America this year...I hope California kept the receipt because it seems like there are dozens of companies who could claim they own it now.

I tease but it is a fun place to go. The kids like to ride the rides and I like to notice the different types of people that come to these places. There are several groups of people that come to amusement parks and I think most of them were represented here last weekend. There were gaggles of giggly girls. There were groups of guys who were too cool to be in a group so they walked in a line...wearing matching outfits. There were parents who were dragging their kids around and kids who were dragging their parents around. There were the people carrying around the stuffed animals that were bigger than most hybrid cars. There were the people who were running from the ride exits to the ride entrances. There were the people waiting at the exits of the "scary" rides...with a look-at-my-watch, pace-back-and-forth sort of attitude. In this last group there was a subset of people who were waiting outside the ride but were also made to hold all of the hats, purses, backpacks, sunglasses, cell phones, keys, wallets, jackets, security blankets, hair extensions, light bulbs, flower arrangements, and half eaten bananas.

I, as you probably have guessed, belonged to the final and most prestigious group. There I sat complete with my newly acquired flowered purse waiting for everyone to come off the water ride. It's not that I am terribly worried about roller coasters or things that spin you around upside down. I just really hate to get wet when I am not wearing a bathing suit. (it's a real hassle in the shower every morning) So there I sat observing all the people and writing about them in the phone. This is where I lost all of the things that I had written to send myself but I am not bitter...and I didn't take out my anger on a stuffed animal that someone had won at the carnival. I swear their heads are supposed to be floppy like that.

I really enjoy watching all of the people and how they interact in a crowd. There are some very interesting people in this great Great America of ours. It is gratifying to realize that there are people out there that are just as odd as I am. On the other hand it is a little disturbing realizing that there are people out there that are as odd as I am without the public place filter that keeps some things private. (It's even more disturbing to think that those filters are there and some of these people are on their best behaviors) Now since I was raised right and my mom taught me that if I couldn't say something nice I shouldn't say anything at all so let me conclude by saying, "______________________________________________________!"

We were able to secure season passes to the park this year so I am sure I will be able to write more about this educational setting (makes me feel smarter...sorry mom) before the summer is through.

I also want to explain, and apologize, for being a little behind in the writing lately. I am trying to write often since it is so much fun for me, but it is report card season. I have tons of ideas, I am just a little low on time at the moment. I am about as busy as a millipede in a shoe tying competition. Wish me luck. By the way, if you notice a rhythm to this post it is unintentional...the ticking of the countdown to the end of the year clock is like a giant metronome in my head...not that I am looking forward to it or anything!

2 comments:

  1. So, do you mean to say that we followers should cancel our vacation plans so that we can spend all our spare time reading your increased blog entries, because after school gets out, that's all you'll be doing?

    Coooooooooool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The question is...did the flower purse match your outfit?

    ReplyDelete