Friday, December 2, 2011

Short But Sweet (The story and the kid)

It is no mystery that working with kids is about as hilarious a job as you can have, but when you work with a classroom full of them, and they're five, rarely a day goes by when one of the cherubs doesn't do something adorable.  It doesn't hurt that I work with colleagues who are constantly on the lookout for cute as well.  

A few days ago, at recess, I was done handing out the Goldfish to the students to eat (crackers people-I don't work in a frat house.) and I came outside to see the other male kindergarten teacher "calling" one of my students on his iPhone.  Little Joe (not his real name) was, of course, talking on his iBanana!  As I walked by, Josh tapped me and nodded to my student, as if to say, "Look at this!  He's totally having a conversation with me!  

Josh played along with Little Joe for about a minute and then decided to 'end the call' since we can't be seen playing all day long.  They may decide that we are having too much fun and lower our pay.  (shhh....it's our little secret)  Well he kept talking and asked about Little Joe's day, how he was doing, and most importantly, where he went on his break.   Little Joe, who had been faithfully talking into his fruit phone, answered every question.  As he began what seemed to be a long winded answer to the final question, Josh said, "Little Joe!  I can't hear you!  You are breaking up!"

Most kids would have laughed and said something like, "You're silly!"  Little Joe, who is apparently no stranger to dropped calls, (I never trusted the commercial where the guy says, "ooh ooh eeh ooh?" Which of course is Gorilla for "Can you hear me now?")  Little Joe pulled the iBanana away from his ear, cupped both hands around the 'receiver' end, and yelled, "I SAID, WE WENT TO MY GRANDMA'S HOUSE!"

Josh and I erupted into silent guffaws (we don't want to hurt anyone's feelings) and he said, "Jeff, you have GOT to remember this!"  I don't need to remember, I have a blog!  And now you can remember it too.  

I was tempted to get the iBanana to replace my Droid...but after seeing this poor reception I think I will stick with dreaming about the Razr .  Besides, I hear that they are already working on iBanana 5!  Technology, sheesh!

1 comment:

  1. Hilarious! You sure got some fancy toys in your classroom!

    ReplyDelete