Saturday, December 10, 2011

Cereal Killer

I apologize!  I did read somewhere in the book "How to Become Rich and Famous While Writing a Blog!" that you should never apologize.  I was brought up much better than that so here goes!  I am sorry!  To the author of the book.  Sorry.  To the person who may or may not have gotten to the parking space a milli-second before I pulled in.  Pardon.  To the newspaper delivery boy(man) who didn't get a tip because I feel the paper should be readable and not soaking wet.  Mea Culpa.  And finally, to all of my loyal readers, who have come to expect much better than this shoddy treatment...Please, forgive me!

Why am I typing this while groveling?  I failed to keep up with the times!  I want to be on the cutting edge of blog writing and I have apparently missed the boat.  Fear not!  I have purchased a ticket and I am walking up the gangplank of said boat right now.  Bon Voyage!

The name of this metaphorical blogboat is "Pictures Of Food" and it is coming to a (usb)port near you.  It seems that there is a plethora of blogs dedicated to people taking pictures of their food.  I was falling behind.  Now be warned, while I think that taking pictures of food is a wonderful thing to do, it just never seemed that interesting to me.  It wasn't something that drew me in and made me want to buy an expensive camera, nicer dishes, and a tripod...so I didn't.  But I can guarantee that this will be the best blog of its kind!  (eventually)  It may take me a little while to get the hang of it.

With no further ado, I would like to introduce the subject of today's feast:
The Cinnamon Toasted Raisin Charms

I stumbled across this recipe quite by accident.  It was a cold winter morning and I had a little extra time in the morning so I decided to make myself a rare bowl of cereal.  I opened the cereal cabinet and beheld a veritable cornucopia of breakfast treats!  After pondering the selection I made my decision.  When I reached to lift the box and its bounty I misjudged the weight, applied too much force, and slammed the box into the shelf above. (something I did regularly before milk came in see through containers)  I was holding what I assumed to be an empty box.  Upon closer inspection I found that I was mistaken and that empty and two tablespoons worth weighed nearly the same.
Lucky Charms with all the "charms" removed


I took it out of the lineup.  I reached for my next choice...gingerly...once bitten you know, and found that this one was similarly weighted.
Raisin Bran...minus raisins

On the counter it went.  Third choice.  Same.
Cinnamon Toast Crunch (luckily there is nothing for the kids to pick out)

Fourth.  Ditto.  (I lost this last image though...I took these on my phone and I think I may have accidentally made it my profile picture on Facebook.)

What to do what to do?  Then it came to me.  What if I chose to eat all of them simultaneously!  Four bowls would have been wasteful.  Throwing away even twenty eight cents worth of cereal?  Unheard of!  One big bowl.  Done!
VOILA!  Cinnamon Toasted Raisin Charms!

The way I figure it, and according to the panels on the sides of all the boxes, I have accomplished in one bowl over 128% of my daily intake of riboflavin!  (129% if I used whole milk)  For all of you purists out there who may be inclined to suggest that I have exceeded the serving suggestion size I would like to invite you to measure out the exact amount suggested, just once, and try to make it all the way to lunch.  I tried, the resulting bad mood is legendary at my school!

Apparently I forgot the cardinal rule of food in the house.  Anything deemed "not enough", "not worth it", or "not as good as that" automatically becomes food for Dad.  I used to enjoy eating the parts of the pizza that actually held the toppings before I had kids!

So there you have it.  I have written about and photographed food!  It was a lot of fun and I can assure you I will most likely be writing on this subject again!  I can feel the riches flowing toward me already!  I may make enough to get a white tablecloth to have as a backdrop for next time...dare to dream!  I am already considering my next food related project.  It came to me while I was making a sandwich after I finished breakfast.  I had three loaves of bread to choose from...so that, of course, meant I had only six end pieces!

No comments:

Post a Comment