Sunday, December 18, 2011

Gross!

Different people have different levels of 'gross'.  One may think that observing the five second rule for a dropped cookie may be gross.  Another may have no qualms at all about observing the five day rule when finding leftover pizza in a box that was hidden by the Sunday paper. (I have no personal experience with this, I can assure you)  Some people can eat dinner while they watch movie after movie with the words, Blood, Murder, Kill, Hotel, or Dismember in the title, where the director seems to be paid by the gallon of gore.  Others may get woozy and have to turn away from the screen while a doctor gives someone an injection on a doctor show.  (I also have no personal experience with this either)  Differences are the key!

Well I have been informed, indirectly by my daughter Kristiana through Facebook, that I was being gross while writing and talking about our anniversary yesterday.  According to her definition:  I am guilty as charged.

It started when I wrote a blog yesterday about the proposal.  The way it works is I write here on the blog, I upload it to the net, then I go directly to Facebook and include a link that is shared on Twitter, then I share it onto my profile page since there are only a handful of people who are connected to my blog page or follow me on Twitter.  I'm not sure who appreciates or is annoyed when I upload all these places, but that is what I do.  Well, being a guy of the nineties, that means that I am also sending this info to my daughter.(Yes, I am aware that it is 2011.  But seriously, should I say I am a guy of the tens column?)  But I digress...

There usually isn't a problem since KRISTIANA will typically just skim through my blog to make sure that I haven't written KRISTIANA anywhere where KRISTIANA might see it.  (I'm gonna pay for this)  Apparently she also checks to make sure I haven't tipped the 'gross' scales toward the embarrassing side.  Yesterday was ripe for signs of embarrassment.  It started when I posted:  Seventeen years ago today. I married my best friend!  on Facebook.  I was quickly informed that someone thought it was "gross".  (I suppose you can guess who...NO!  It wasn't my wife!) Then, Sylvia had the nerve to write:  Happy Anniversary!!! Love you lots! Thanks for my surprises around the house!  You can imagine the uproar when that hit the screen!  We received another, "gross"  Then, because I wanted to write solely on Sylvia's wall and not be an ad for the blog, I wrote:  Happy Anniversary Honey! I love you!!   "gross"   Sylvia also did a little electronic graffiti (wrote on my wall) with:  Seventeen years ago today I married a pretty wonderful guy!! I would say yes all over again...love you Jeff Garrett.  That was followed by the now routine, "gross"  I would like to point out that we have friends, Lucinda and Jamey, who are always sending love notes back and forth on Facebook.  Kristiana thinks they are cute!  


The gross-fest continued through the day and evening.  I would say, "I love you Honey." to which I would hear, "gross."  When I said grace over the dinner that I planned, I thanked God for bringing me Sylvia and for our marriage.  "gross"  When I opened Sylvia's car door.  "gross"  When I held her hand.  "gross"  I gave her a peck on the cheek.  "gross"    When I burped the alphabet after chugging down a liter of Dr Pepper.  "gross"  (Ok, that one may have been deserved)  I'm telling you, I couldn't do anything without moving into the "ewww" category.  Trouble is, except for the card, we were pretty much as gross as we are all year long. All right, so I sprang for the extra few dollars to put Baby's breath in the roses.  That is different as well.  (Kristiana didn't seem to think that was gross for some reason...my research staff is working on the reason.)  
Jake didn't join in the gross-o-rama.  I suppose he wanted to suffer in silence.  


Actually, the kids were a big help.  We got the house tidied up while mom was off helping her brother with some chores.  Kristiana prepared the dinner (let the kids play to their strengths I always say) and Jake helped me arrange the roses in the vase.  When Sylvia got home she was very pleased with the way the house looked and how the kids had gone above and beyond what she had hoped for.  As for me, I was happy to do it.  You know the saying, "When mama is happy, everyone is happy!"
I Love You Sylvia!


At the risk of being called gross one more time I would like to say, I Love You Sylvia! ...  My prayer is that our kids find relationships that are just as gross as ours is.  

1 comment:

  1. Awwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean Gross
    -Kristiana~Rose

    ReplyDelete