Saturday, December 18, 2010

Blog of Note...not me, someone else.

I have been looking at the "Blogs of Note" on blogger.com and I noticed a few things.  The Blogs of Note are blogs, like mine, that are selected for their merit and highlighted on the website so that others might be able to see them, readership might increase, and (if they have ads) they might make a little money in the meantime.    The blogs can be chosen due to their uniqueness, their cool title, or there could be a giant blog dartboard in the Blogger.com's virtual office where they zip a little electronic projectile into the air and, voila, we have a new blog of the day.  For the record, I have no problem with how they choose their blogs...and I am certainly not complaining that I haven't been hit with a dart yet.  I appreciate being able to have people say that I "have a gift for writing."  And that I can write...for free.  I have, however, noticed a few things about these chosen blogs and I would like to talk about them today.

First of all, I notice that the chosen ones all seem to have a plethora of pictures.  This is a visually stimulating media. I get it.  But when 'they' say, "A picture is worth a thousand words" I just get tired.  I mean there is no way I can keep up with that!  Some of these people have ten or fifteen pictures per post.  I do not have that many pictures and I really don't have that kind of time.  If I was to try to keep up with the picture-to-words ratio I would need to start adding superfluous words to my blog.  I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, don't want to do that.

Second, the blogs of note that I have 'leafed' through seem to have a bit of the salty language.  Again, I am not complaining.  People are free to choose their own style of writing.  First ammendment and all that.  It is purely an observation.  I used to tell my high school students (I have taught all over the map grade wise) that swearing is the sign of a lazy response.  There are so many words in the English language, I would tell them, that surely they could pick another adjective, verb, preposition, or adverb than the "F" word.  I plan on doing an entire blog on swearing and the silly things that kids have said to me while I was teaching, but I can't figure out how to do it and not offend everyone who has come to expect a certain level of mediocrity from me.  BUT...if swearing gets me into the running to be a blog of note, I'll have to consider it.  By jiggity! (ooh, I feel like such a rebel)

Third (are you liking these transition words...that's a sign of a true writer), all of these blogs of note have multiple hundreds of "followers."  I recently found out that I could get into this computer program and re-name that particular section of the blog.  Good!  (As a side note, I really do not want people "following me"...I know who to follow if you want to know, but I have not chosen this forum to talk about Him)  Check out how I have renamed my "followers"...that section looks like a little police line up of pictures on the side of the blog.  It should be a little below the ads on the left. (the ads that I am encouraging you to check out as per my agreement with Google...keep it up people!  I made 0.02 cents yesterday! Daddy needs new sheetrock for his ceiling!)  I have many people who tell me that they read my blog but are not signed in as followers.  That is ok.  To each his own.   I am not sure, in a blog/Blog of Note sort of way, which came first...the chicken or the egg, the followers or being selected, or (as my odd mind likes to view it) the rubber chicken or the hard-boiled egg.  Let me just say this...if you follow mine, I'll follow yours!

Last, each of these chosen blogs have this exciting thing in common.  They all have dozens of comments per post!  I, on the other hand, can go for weeks without someone commenting on mine.  As my sister (the catalyst for my writing a blog) says, "I don't have something funny to say for every blog."  I get it.  That's fine.  But let me tell you this.  I have read a book called, The Five Love Languages and it is wonderful.  Ok, so I took the little quiz at the end that tells you what you and your partner like.  Without getting into too much detail, I would like to reccommend this book.  If nothing else it will tell you how you can make your partner happy.  If you build her a mansion and she would rather have you hold her hand, you have just built a mansion for no reason...(if that is the case, I would be willing to take it off your hands...our ceiling needs replacing over here).  I also found out a little about myself...I like to hear that I am doing a good job.  Words of affirmation is what the book calls them. 

Do not imagine that I am begging for comments...you're not imagining anything.  Give me comments!  Yeah right.  I can't even get Sylvia to sign in and give me comments...and I know what her love language is!

It is one of my comments that finally gets me to the point of today's blog.  One, L. Babyak sent me a message on Facebook suggesting that he, "Smells a blog post coming."  I have no idea what sort of super power involves being able to smell ideas, but it must be why he lives about as far away from Washington DC as possible.  There are some pretty crappy ideas coming from the government and they must smell awful.  Mr. Babyak, I feel your pain.  Mr. Babyak also came in second place in my first blog contest (it was a six way tie) and I wanted to honor him by using his name in my blog.  I'm sure you can contact Blogger.com to get enough information so that the court officers can serve me the papers. 

I would also like to say, Mr. Babyak, (if that is your real name) that I come up with my own blog ideas and I refuse to be pushed around by "the man!"  Thank you Very Much!  It just so happens that I was planning to write about our Christmas tree for tomorrow, so I guess you are off the hook, this time

Did you notice that I swore a couple of paragraphs ago?  (I said cra**y!)  I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, don't want to use too much swearing and get pulled by the FCC for being obscene.  I am just experimenting with trying to get into the Blog of Note category.  Now, let's see if this works...
That's right.  A picture!  Blog of Note here I come!  Dagnabbit!

3 comments:

  1. vacation ritual for me now...catch up on Jeff's blog with a cup of coffee my first day out...sadly, as you have never really written in "sequential order" with your new transition words...I did not catch on and I have now read the story of Jeff and Sylvia backwards...but, it was still great and VERY engaging...I admire your ability to work and write...I can't seem to do it...you just get better and better...thanks for starting my vacay off great...and it always inspire me to get back to my own blog...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really, really, really, really, really liked your blog today by jiggity.
    (")> (Penguin picture)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was so fricken well written and hellarious! I hope these salty comments help to hasten your selection as a "Blog of Note" blogger! Because you really, really, really, really deserve it, really! I can actually PICTURE it (that is just in case the computer looks at the big PICTURE when making a selection for the Blog of note!

    ReplyDelete