Sunday, July 11, 2010

Road Trip!

I have been asked to go on a road trip with the Missions pastor at our church. We leave tomorrow morning to visit the Ganado Reservation in Arizona, near Gallup, New Mexico. We will be seeing if this might be a place our high schoolers might want to support it with a trip of their own. Our church has been going to Mexico for years to support ministries down there. It may be time to mix it up a bit. The need has not gone away, there are not insurmountable problems that have suddenly arisen, it is just nice to consider alternatives to the way it has been done in the past.

Reminds me of a military story about the outsider watching a flag ceremony. He asked why there was a man standing away from everyone with no discernible purpose. The person he asked had no idea so (long story...up the chain of command) and eventually found an old-timer who promised to tell why he was there. They all gathered together and listened as he whispered the answer, "He is there to hold the colonel's horse."
Just because something has always been done a certain way doesn't mean that it should always be done that way.

So this trip was presented to me as such an opportunity. I asked about this place and Mark, the pastor, said, "It used to be a mission but the missionaries were butchered and killed." SO I have that going for me.

I just hope, if I make it back un-butchered, that I am not given a different name...mine would probably be Argues with Cats! We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment