Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Right Place, Right Time


Here is photographic evidence that I am the luckiest camera snapping guy on the planet. I was walking down to meet Sylvia and the girls at the lake and this leaf happened to fall right in front of me into the water. I noticed that it had a drop of dew on it so I snapped a shot. I think it came out pretty darn nice for a kindergarten teacher on vacation.


I have always enjoyed taking pictures and it seems that some pictures I take create the photographic equivalent of miniature fireworks. "Oooh....Ahhhh....That one turned out nice." I like that. I like when a shot comes out nicely. With the advent of digital pictures I am able to take hundreds of pictures to get a few worthy shots but it's nice when it happens. Of course I use the "Dug" the talking dog method of preparing for a shot. You know, "I am walking to the water. I have a camera. I am wearing shoes. I just met you, but I lov....LEAF!" (instead of squirrel) If you don't get the reference for this, I suggest you see rent some kids (we lease, with an option to buy) and see the movie UP!, it's a pretty darn good movie.

Whenever I walk around with my camera (my camera = a present FOR Sylvia on our last anniversary...I think it was a month before she was able to pry it from my hands to take a picture) what was I talking about? Oh yeah, whenever I walk around with our camera I picture myself as Ansel Adams taking pictures for the ages, documenting America, setting up a shot and waiting for days until the lighting is just right....wait, what? Days? Lighting? If Ansel Adams had an extreme case of ADHD, wished they would invent a pill that would give you SPF 1000 protection and air-conditioned clothing, and was afraid of bees, then I would be like him....without the pictures worthy of books. Not sure ole' Ansel would have made it to stardom if he started breakdancing whenever he heard a buzzing sound.

Ansel...


"Dear journal,

I have been on this mountain with my camera set up for three days. The weather is frightfully cold but I think the moonrise over Half Dome will be quite spectacular tonight. I have studied the weather patterns and astronomical charts and realize that tonight will be the night to have the picture I have been thinking about for three years. Last night was nearly as spectacular as I have imagined but with the passing of one more day I know that the millimeter the moon moves to the right tonight will make it ever so much more special. I did not even bother to take a picture that I fear would have been substandard. I have prepared months ahead of time and I have provisions enough, but I fear that I may never feel my toes again. Tis a small price to pay to achieve my dream. Ah, the time is fast approaching and I fear that I may miss my opportunity...I have only three hours to prepare. Away with me for now."


Jeff...

"Dear journal,

I am walking. Those people are laughing at my hat. I have the camera with me. This strap itches. Bee! Oops. Hope Sylvia didn't see me bump the camera. Hey it took a picture. I wonder if I can go back to the air conditioned trailer yet. I hate when sand goes in my sandal. Is there any ham left?"

Do you not see the comparison? It's like we're twins!


These are two more shots from our last trip. This is Fudge, the wonder dog, doing one of his favorite activities. (next to sneaking up behind people and laying down at their feet so they trip when they try to leave) Kristiana might say that Fudge is one of my favorite photgraphic subjects. I just like that he doesn't stop and pose whenever I point a camera at him. I am a candid sort of guy. That is why most of my pictures of Sylvia are from the side and slightly to the back of her head. I like to catch her when she is just turning around with her natural smile. I could look at that smile all day long. It's one of the reasons I fell in love with her.







There's one more picture I just have to show you. More to prove that I wasn't lying than to say it's what I would call a good picture. I mentioned before that I vacationed on Snake Island and "christened" it in my own special, personal, sort of way. Well those snakes were imaginary I'm sure. This is just one of the many snakes we saw on this week we spent in the Oregon state park. When they put up signs that say, "Beware of Snakes" they aren't kidding! At last count we saw four rattlers and one garter.





Anyway, I just wanted to take a minute to share a few pictures from our last trip. There were a few pictures of people that were in the "ooh....ahhh...." category, but I didn't want to add those without their permission. Besides, who would want to see a picture of Cameron Diaz being carried into the forest by Bigfoot?

And by the way...I am about to land a 52 pound trout!! The line is not caught on an underwater log and I did not use the opportunity to pretend that I had a fish. That would just be sad!

No comments:

Post a Comment