Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Heading For Fame and Fortune?

Today I wanted to take on what might be a sacred cow of sorts...no pun intended...OK maybe it was intended a little bit. Today I want to ask a serious question that it seems a lot of people just seem to be accepting with no apparent reason at all. Every day I am confronted with this and every day I have to wonder, "Why?" I have a feeling this will be so shocking, so amazing that people will liken this blog post to the story about the boy who said that the emperor had no clothes (OK so I meant that a little too...you'll see). I will most likely become rich and famous...but then, at least there will be a reason to point to. My question, you may want to sit down, is:


Why, exactly, are any of the Kardashians famous?


You may feel a bit uneasy and experience disorientation as the spell cast by the Internet and TV wears off, but I think the benefit will outweigh the risk. Following this revelation you will be able to walk by a People magazine without worry.


I know I try to be silly and exaggerate in my posts but I am totally and completely serious. I have no idea what any of these K people have done to benefit society. For the record, I don't count showing more skin than is required at most doctor visits as a benefit to society. To me, all of the stories about them have headlines about swimsuits or racy photo shoots. This K clan seems to be an industry of its own. I don't get it. I really don't!


I am not so interested in them as I am in why people seem so smitten with them. For a while Mary Kate and Ashley were in every magazine in the free world but they, at least, were cute on TV and made America laugh. Lance Armstrong has bursts of headlines, but he is known for working hard and becoming the best in his field. Donald Trump is also a headline magnet, but he has achieved a level of success in real estate and business that warrants a little attention. These K girls are a mystery to me. I thought about doing a Google search about them to see just what they had done to garner all of this attention but thought better of it.

This, you may or may not be surprised, reminds me of a story about Sylvia. My wife, who is wonderful and brilliant, has a peculiar trait that shows most when she is around technology. She is a teensy bit naive about certain things. Now allow me to explain, a lot, before I get smacked in the back of the head. Sylvia was the chair of the women's retreat for our church a couple of years ago. The retreat is a time when the women in our church get together and have a time together with a speaker to guide them for a weekend. The chair gets to decide the theme, the location, the speaker, and the symbol. Previous symbols had been a kite, a sailboat, and a chaise lounge. The theme for Sylvia's retreat was Jesus is the Living Water. The symbol was an ancient water carrying jar.

When we (yes "we" because when your wife is the chair you have work to do too) were searching for pictures of ancient water jars on Google we were getting a little frustrated. There were loads of pictures of jars in groups, on heads, with silly modern decorations, but there were precious few which looked as if they could have been used in ancient times and even fewer which were pictured alone. When I left the room to do something else for a moment Sylvia decided to try other ideas to get images for the retreat. At this point Sylvia decided to type in "pitchers" and some came up, and "water carriers" a few more, and finally "jugs." And that is when I walked back into the room. That's OK, I'll wait for ten minutes or so while you stop laughing. For those of you who are maybe not as computer savvy as the average person and didn't start laughing hysterically, let me explain. Think slang. You do NOT want to type "jugs" into the Google Search bar unless you want to be bombarded by images that leave "risque" far far behind! Sylvia knows that...now.

So I am still curious about just what makes this collection of people famous, but this experience will by why I am not going to search for anything relating to the Kardashians...from the things that I have seen without looking I expect that I would meet with the same result as when Sylvia typed "jugs" into the search bar. Wait a minute...I thought they looked famili...Nope, not gonna go there!

No comments:

Post a Comment