Saturday, June 11, 2011

Welcome To The Zoo

Today is Jake's birthday and I like to begin birthday blogs with something about the celebrant.  Today, the first thing that comes to mind is that Jake will have to feed a mouse to his brand new Ball Python.  Yes, we are the proud household of a constricting snake.

It started out where Jake wanted several snakes, an emu, a horse, an alligator, an albino tiger, a rampaging Rhinoceros, and several other things that have more teeth than I am comfortable with.  It seems a good compromise that he should be able to get a snake.  So there you go.  It may be a coincidence but I haven't seen my mother in law in our house since the snake moved in.  I'll have to give her a call.  I also haven't seen the cat, but that's another story.  KIDDING! 

Allow me to break down the ever growing list of animals that now call our house home.  We have a snake, a bird, a rabbit, a dog, a cat, and more fish than I can count.  The list has been much longer than this throughout our lives here, and let's just say that if I was a character in a Steven King novel, I would be worried about going into the back yard, past all the tiny little headstones, at night.

The snake actually started happening several years ago.  A colleague of Sylvia's gave Jake a gift card to go toward a snake.  The next year she gave another.  Jake has been saving for a long time and he finally felt like he had enough...and then the sale hit.  Fifty percent off and then a coupon for fifty percent off of that!  And then fifty dollars off of the snake habitat starter kit.  "We'd be stupid not to buy the snake!"  (That was an actual quote from Sylvia...she's on board with the whole thing)  So Jake gathered up all of his cards, cash, and a bucket full of change and we went to the store.  And came home with a python. 

I cannot say that it is cute but it is definitely friendly.  No seriously!  If you would like to come over I am sure I could talk Jake into letting it give you a kiss.  I like how the reality and responsibility of being a pet owner occurred to Jake just a few minutes after he got the enclosure set up.  Sylvia and I were in the living room and we heard Jake yell, "HEY! IT POOPED!  GROSS!"  Heh, heh, welcome to the real world pal and Happy Birthday! 

I cannot say that Kristiana is impressed with the snake at all!  The acquisition happened while she was away at a church meeting.  When she came home, let's just say, she was less than pleased.  Mom and I tried to explain that we had been looking at snakes in the pet store, with her, for years and just what exactly did she think was going to happen.  She said, "I didn't think you would really let him get one!"  Oh well, she is warming up to our cold-blooded addition and she might not want me to tell you this but I'll say that I am not the only one in the family who knows that a snake "kiss" tickles.

Kristiana is more of the fluffy cuddly cute and definitely not lethal variety of pets.  She enjoys pets that hop, swim, or purr.  She does not fully appreciate slither and hiss just yet.  She much rather would take a pet for a walk than try to keep it from going down into the cushions on the couch.  In fact, the last time we bought fish to add to our aquarium Kristiana grabbed the little plastic bag and took the fish out for a walk around the block.  Is it any wonder that I have more than enough material to write in the blog.

Speaking of writing in a blog...I have started a new one.  I know, I know, you are already hooked on this one why would I use my prose to take even more of your time?  Well blame my co-worker Josh.  Every day he would say, "Did you read the Onion?" and then give me a crazy headline from that paper.  Well I don't really have time to read it but crazy headlines come to me all the time.  So I started writing them down.  Sort of an homage to The Onion.  (Who knows, maybe they will tell me that I am so talented that they want me to write for them...for pay!  And then I could call myself a writer!  Or maybe they will sue me for copying their style.)  Anyway, the new blog is at http://jeffsgnus.blogspot.com/ pronounced Jeff's 'News' but that didn't look right so it is 'Gnus'.  I am having fun writing it but so far I only have one follower.  Thanks Beth!  Take a look and let me know what you think.  Just know that all of my gnus stories are 100% accurate.  Yeah right!

No comments:

Post a Comment