Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Whirlpool!!

If I were to ask Google how many husbands have compared their wife's business to a dog's water bowl, I hope the answer would come back zero. I mean that's weird right? What kind of a oddball would look at a ceramic dish surrounded by dog slobber and think, "Hmmmm, that reminds me of something that my darling has been working on..." And if anyone did happen to see a comparison, they certainly wouldn't share what they were thinking, unless they maybe wanted to spend some time in the guest room in Fido's house. I mean Wacky right!?! I'm glad we agree.

So as I was pouring water into the dog's water dish I was reminded of my wife's business. What can I say, I'm a risk taker! I don't want to spend a lot of time on the comparison but I thought you might like to hear how I got the inspiration for what I am going to talk about. I also don't want to spend any time in the dog house so I'll pause for a moment to say to Sylvia, "I love you honey!"

Anyway, the water I poured in created a tiny little whirlpool and I suppose I had a dog dish sized epiphany. I was reminded of playing in the backyard in our Doughboy pool. In case that's a regional thing I'll tell you that my parents never called our above ground portable pool a 'swimming pool', they always called it the Doughboy. Friends would ask if we had a pool and we would answer, "Well, we have a Doughboy." In the interest of not offending anyone I would like to pause for a moment to say that the only similarity between our pool and our dog's water dish was that it was circular...well that and it was filled with water.


We splashed around. We hopped from one side to another. We held our breath for as long as we could. Unfortunately, due to size restrictions, there wasn't much else to do and it quickly became a place for us to just bob up and down...until someone said, "Whirlpool!" When one person in the pool started walking around the edge...and just kept going...there might be a little current in the water. When the other people joined in and everyone moved toward a common goal, well it got pretty exciting! I can remember numerous times when my mom would tell us to be careful as we got the water moving so fast that it started spilling out the edges of the pool. Our young experiment-driven minds would test different things. Was it best to all walk together side by side? Should we separate and each take a section? Could we make the slowest participant get swept off their feet by getting it going so fast? We had a lot of fun!

At first the easiest thing to do would be stand still. No movement. Just stay put. Easy isn't very much fun. We were willing to try something to see if we could add a little excitement. As with anything worthwhile there was a reward. There was a sense of accomplishment. There was reaching the goal. And there was the thrill of riding along on what you had achieved. As we all began the process we felt like we were walking in syrup. I mean nowadays there are whole exercise programs developed around the resistance that water gives you. Just trying to walk in water is tough! But when we kept at it, especially working with others, we found that the water soon started cooperating! After a relatively short amount of time it became apparent that what would have been the easiest thing to do at the beginning is now quite impossible! It became a new game then to see how much momentum we had built up to see if someone could stand still against the tide that we had created. None of us could! Occasionally one person would ride along and "rest" as the others kept working. As long as everyone didn't decide to stop at the same time, the flow would continue forever.

Now I would be remiss if I didn't mention my cousin Melvin. (not his real name) He was always a spoilsport when he was in the pool. While we were all trying to get the whirlpool moving along he would purposely go against the flow. When he wasn't trying to do that he would just find a place along the wall and hold on to see if he could stop us.

And this is what reminded me of my Sylvia's business. She started out by just trying to help herself be more healthy. Then the kids and I joined in and we all started to walk together. When we all started to see the benefit we started to let others in. Sylvia did not have the goal of starting a business. She definitely did have a goal of helping people! And as is the case with the pool when see that you are enjoying what you are doing, others want to join in! Without doing anything other than moving in the direction that she wanted to go, she has joined into a exciting current and even created a current of her own! It's so enjoyable to watch and see the good that she is doing while helping others. And like the pool, when she needed to take a step back for a month to care for her mother when she fell and broke a bone, the rest of her team kept moving along and she was able to ride the current while her main focus needed to be elsewhere.

It's truly been exciting to be a part of this whirlpool we're in and it all started with a kit of Young Living essential oils. She bought one for herself and started wading into the pool. She essentially said, "I am just going to stand here and splash around while I watch you all play." She started walking along using the kit and showing them to her friends. They decided to join her in the pool and walk alongside. Pretty soon she achieved ranks, got recognition, and started getting a paycheck. The current that she said she definitely did not want and looked scary from the outside turned out to be quite enjoyable! My hesitant wife began to start inviting people along for the ride. She sees people who these oils could help and tells them her story. She started all alone in her little Doughboy and now has over 500 friends helping her move this current along! The water is really moving and the blessings are overflowing!


I want to let you know that if you want to find out more about this and become blessed yourself, Sylvia would be happy to help you. Here is the link to Sylvia's Website for more information. All it takes is to step in and keep going along with the flow. There is, I assure you, always room for more.  The only way to not succeed is to hold onto the side while watching everyone else go by. Don't be like Melvin!

Now there is a tremendous amount more to the story and the analogy isn't a perfect fit, (mostly because we are doing the exact opposite of staying in one place going around in circles) but all it took was a single step. She got into the pool.

Come on in...the water's fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment