Wednesday, August 1, 2018

I Beg Your Pardon...What?!

Sylvia and I got away for a few days to go hiking, swimming, and other healthy endeavors.

Ok, enough, stop, you win. Wine tasting. We went wine tasting. Lots and lots of wine tasting.

I realize that the mere mention of wine tasting might elicit a response from a lot of people and bring up images of people in sweater-vests holding their oversized wine glass in the air. While looking through the moving liquid in the glass they say things like "ah.....legs" and "this really is a fruit forward varietal." All around the room there are people Sipping and Sucking and Swirling and there's one more S but I forget what that is. There's a spittoon on the counter that everyone knows is for spitting out but nobody is spitting it out because that's just gross. Oh hey! Spitting! That's the last S! Not to be indelicate but I peeked and the center drain was wet so someone was spitting...it just wasn't us. Everywhere people are saying "full bodied," "Ah nodes of hazelnut," and "I believe this one came from a French barrel since they are fond of using balsa wood and this reminds me of my kite when I was 10." How did I do? If you've ever gone wine tasting, did I capture the experience? Well I will tell you that this was definitely NOT us. (We don't even own sweater vests!)

So anyway, since we are staying away from home for a couple days we are unable to eat home prepared organic gourmet cuisine like we do every night of the week. (Jake if you see anyone rummaging through our trash cans just tell them the pizza roll packages are from next door.) Sylvia and I were hungry. We aren't from around here so we asked the youngins at the last winery where to go. (The last winery of the two we went to...we're not lushes.) Both of the kids doing the pouring said, in unison, Bravas Tapas! And that reminded me of a story....

I was new to my school but had worked there part time for a few months a decade earlier. I was popping in and out of rooms getting to know people one Friday and was getting the usual, "Any plans for the weekend?" My final stop was usually Mr. Mitchell since I work in an elementary school full of women and every once in a while you gotta talk to a guy. It's a testosterone thing. I told John that Sylvia and I were probably going to go out to dinner but we hadn't decided where yet. And that's when he told me about a teacher he mentored and the restaurant that she suggested.

He said that she and her new husband were going to this new topless bar that had opened up in Berkeley. She proceeded to tell him that it was supposed to be really good and a fun place to eat. It was a trendy new idea, these topless bars, but the food was amazing! She explained that she first took her husband to this topless bar for his birthday but they have gone back multiple times since then. She said that the topless place isn't your usual way to eat but it all works out and everyone enjoys themselves. Then she suggested that he should go to this topless bar and maybe they could double date with their significant others.

Mr. Mitchell told me, right off the bat, that there was no way he was going to talk his way into going to a topless bar...and going with the female teacher from work was just out of the question. He thought, I am a very understanding person. I honestly believe in live and let live. I cannot for the life of me understand, however, how this fairly conservative seeming young lady would actually enjoy going to a topless bar! More than once even!!! He told me that he pondered it all weekend wondering what other secrets were hiding behind the innocent school teacher facade.

When she came in on Monday he waited until after school and then asked her if she enjoyed the topless bar. She got this strange look on her face, "What?" You said you were going to the Topless bar this weekend. "Umm, I said Tapas. Tapas. It's like little appetizers that you order and then everyone shares as a meal. YOU THOUGHT I'D GO TO A TOPLESS BAR!?! NO WAY!" Laughter! Laughter! Laughter! And we all had a story to hear in the staff room for the next week. The moral of the story, I guess, is listen carefully! Oh yeah, and ask questions if something just doesn't sound quite right.

Well last night, Mr. Mitchell, Sylvia and I went to a "topless" bar here in Healdsburg and the food was great. They relied a little too much on bleu cheese in the salad for my liking but everyone kept their clothes on...so that was good.


No comments:

Post a Comment