Sunday, July 7, 2013

Do I Smell Garlic?

Ate pizza, swam in the Adriatic, ate lasagna, took a ferry to Venice, ate spaghetti, saw ancient cathedrals, ate carbonara, found out that "Prego!" is not a brand of sauce, found out that "The Merchant of Venice" sells hats, t-shirts, and calendars,  watched boccia ball being played, ate gelato, saw a whole bunch of people who remind me of my aunts, turned down multiple offers to try espresso, and rode my rented bike in the mornings before most people got up...to the bakery for fresh rolls, bread, and pastries.  And that was only part of it.  I think only my scale and my doctor might have a problem with this trip.  And now we have said "Arrivederci!" to Italy.   

Yes, Italy is behind us, literally, and we are now camping, without European family, for the first time in our trip.  Being American, I make several European mistakes a day.  The ones I made on this day were, the assumption that all stores take credit cards, and restaurants stay open late.  We drove past a group of restaurants and pulled into our campsite on the Chiemsee (keem-say...the lake named Chiem) got set up, and walked over to find out that the restaurant here was only open until eight, it was 8:40, and the restaurants that were a half hour walk from here were only open until 9.  Hmmm?  The camp store had a small (infinitesimal ) amount of food, but only took cash...and we were a little behind on our exchanging.  It's funny how American money works as well as Monopoly money when you are in a foreign land.  

Sylvia and I bought sausages, some balsamic vinegar, and applesauce...Kristiana went back and thankfully bought corn for us when she decided we didn't get enough...I set to work making a feast with the food in the camper and our newfound bounty.    In the camper we had noodles, a head of lettuce, seasoning, and a set of cooking utensils that look remarkably similar to the set I give my kindergarteners in their play kitchen.  Not exactly like we wanted to spend one of the very few nights we actually camp on our own, but we made it work.

By the time we cleaned up it was time for bed so we began setting up the table to sleep on...again for the first time.  Here's a travel tip.  When you travel eighteen hours, fly fourteen, and only sleep two...VIDEOTAPE the guy demonstrating the Rubik's cube European table into bed portion...you will not remember it two weeks later when you don't have time to set up the extra sleeping quarter tent you've been relying on.  We got it mostly figured out and, I haven't verified it yet but, I think we all survived the night.  

Now the good news...picture growing up in San Francisco and never riding a cable car until you start dating someone in your late twenties.  I can picture it perfectly...I did that (Sylvia took me on my first cable car ride that I remember... according to my sister, I rode as a baby but that doesn't count).  Now we are camping next to a beautiful, enormous lake that has an island that holds one of crazy King Ludwig's wonderful castles.  Sylvia essentially grew up in this area but has never camped here before.  Why would she?  It's a half hour from her uncle's house.  It was a cool place to drive by as you got to where you were going.  It was a landmark that said, "You're almost there!"  Now, because we just left her uncle in Italy, and her cousin is unavailable due to surgery, we are getting to do something she's never done before...which is tough to do on a teacher's salary.  

So now, after our one night camping solo and one impromptu meal, we get ready to trade in our extra large camper (ha) for a medium sized one since this was not available for the whole time we were here.  (Kind of ironic that we have to go to a smaller sized camper after I have super-sized my eating for a week...don't you think?). Yes, from tomorrow on, for the next three weeks, we will be exactly one meter closer to each other  

From here on out we are staying in Germany for the most part, with the exception of going to one of my favorite cities in the world, Salzburg...(which is also a half hour from her uncle's house).  We will get to show the kids the city where Ruth grew up (Augsburg), the Cinderella castle (Neuschwanstein), and another cousin in Herzengoaurach (near Neurenburg).  I am certain these memories will last a lifetime.  

And, in case you were concerned, Jacob just rolled over...it's official!   We all survived the night!

1 comment: