Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Generalizations


Generalizations can be a dangerous thing.  They can make you trust people without merit or distrust people without cause.  A famous scholar (or someone in my family) once said, "I hate people who generalize...all MEN generalize!"  I will now pause for a moment while my philosophy professor rolls over in his grave.  Come to think of it he is still alive, so I think he is just feeling a disturbance in the Force...or just having to take a Tums.  

... Ok, I'm back.

Wth all of that being said, let me tell you about some generalizations that I could make if I wanted to.  If I were to judge the German people by the man who questioned why we needed to continue driving on the road that he had blocked, when it was painfully obvious that a) we could pass easily in a moment, and b) that there was zero chance of turning around on one of these typical single lane roads, then I might be inclined to think them rude.  If, however, I judged the German people by the family that we have eaten with, stayed with, and parked an oversized vehicle in front of....then I would generalize that they were warm, friendly, generous, funny, accepting, accomodating people.  (I'm going to lean toward the latter.)

Me, and my merry band of travelers, have been greeted with enthusiasm at every turn and we are feeling very blessed to be on this wonderful trip!  I fear that we are going to be a little like cats and, since we have been fed very well, we will long to come back over and over again.  I sense a second (or third) job on the horizon.

Alas, we are entering a new chapter, one most likely without WiFi, and so the writings will be slower to come.  I will try to continue off line and then post when I get near a Starbucks, McDonald's, or apparently one of several other Americanish restaurants that are invading the countryside.  (Still no Round Table Piza has been spotted, but I will keep you posted!)

No comments:

Post a Comment