Saturday, September 18, 2010

Crayon or Dunce?

Today I sit here with that tingle and tightness one feels when one has been in the sun too long.

OK, I know I am being redundant but I would be remiss if I didn't take this early opportunity to point out to the publishers in the...universe...that I really deserve to have a multi million dollar book deal. I mean who says "one" in a sentence? Sophisticated authors, that's who! Then in the sentence explaining the first great sentence I used "redundant" and "remiss"! (of course then I put the exclamation point on the outside of the quotes so I guess it all evens out and I am not ready after all.)

The reason I have a tingly tight face is due to the fact that I was, indeed, out in the sun too long. You see, the tiny little city where I work has a nice little tradition involving standing out in the sun, on a Saturday, for a significant amount of time. Well that is not really the intention of the day but we all get to enjoy the added benefit of excess vitamin D absorption. We celebrate something called Newark Days out here on the west coast. It's a lot of fun, really. There are games to play, rides to ride, and a parade to get sunburned in.

All sorts of people and groups march in the parade. Today I saw marching bands, classic cars, firetrucks, two floats with giant rotating crepe paper globes, and a large crowd of people wearing construction paper cones on their heads. I was in this last group...and I am not complaining in the least. One reason I have no complaints is that wearing a somewhat silly hat helps support a school that I am very proud to be a part of. Another reason is that my students, both past and present, get to see Mr. Garrett in another light, and the more connections, the better we can relate and learn together. But the most important reason, and I really need you to understand this, is that I didn't have to plan any of it. As a busy teacher and parent I really appreciate when someone else is in charge of decisions and I would have been happy to wear a t-shirt that said, "I'm with Stupid"...even if the arrow pointed up! In the past several years I have been part of the leadership of our school's parade preparation and it was nice to be only a participant. For the last two years I have had to pass the "Boss" hat around like it was a hot potato. That "ahhhhhhh" you heard this morning at approximately 8:30 was me realizing that I had no truck to decorate, no choreography to rehearse, no banner to waterproof, no permission slips to keep track of, no responsibilities whatsoever. Just thinking about it again...ahhhhhh.

Friday after school I met with one of the planners for the first time. They had always planned their meetings on Wednesday nights and I am booked on Wednesday until...well let's just say that there will probably be a new president before I can get away on a Wednesday. When I went it to see what I needed to do, I was told how to curl a large piece of paper into a cone and strap it to my head with yarn. When I tried mine on I couldn't help but feel like I had done something bad in a one roomed schoolhouse in the middle of a prairie. Wearing my new dunce hat I was ready to sit on a stool in the corner.

In reality we were not a large collection of Dennis the Menace wannabes. We were, in fact, a walking collection of very colorful crayons that were all set to "Color The World." (The theme of the event.) A fun time was had by all. I do have to say that a highlight of the parade was something from my very creative son. As we were getting ready Jake saw a large cardboard tube. He immediately thought, "I can make that into a giant crayon and write the name of the school on it." He did and, in my opinion, that element tied in all of the colorful hats and magically turned us from dunces into crayons. Bravo Jake. Of course that didn't keep a small contingency of elderly parade watchers from giggling as we walked by. That's OK. I can take it. I have broad, colorful, shoulders.

So we walked, we sang, we chanted, we clapped, and we performed flawlessly in front of the judging stand. The only information I don't have is whether or not we were able to secure a trophy for our hard work...oops, I mean their hard work. HA! (I mean ahhhhhhhh) I'll keep you posted on whether or not we need to start packing for the New York on Thanksgiving!

Actually one of us is going to New York this year but not to walk in a parade. Kristiana, excuse me...the lovely and talented Kristiana... will be performing in New York in a choir competition. It is a wonderful experience and we are glad that she is going to be able to go. Of course it is rather expensive and I hate to do this but I am going to have to beg. The way I see it my book deal is stuck in some sort of red tape snag right now. I have done the math and since I have 23 followers...if I could just get every one of you to send me 100 dollars, that ought to take care of it. Of course the reality is that about half of you just won't do it...so the other half will need to actually send 200 dollars. The thing is, in this economy many in that group will not be able to manage that. So if three of you were to send 800 dollars we would be fine. But, given my past blogs, two of those final three will think I am kidding. So if one of you would be so kind as to send me a couple thousand dollars for the honor of being able to read this blog I would be most appreciative. In fact, I'll send you a package of coffee. This the way that everyone who isn't writing a blog is having to raise money. Can you imagine?

So talk amongst yourselves to see who the lucky donor will be. I'll be over here...holding my breath. heh heh heh.

No comments:

Post a Comment